Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Thing 11: IMing

IMing is a lot of fun. I have IM contacts already and use IMing to "talk" to family and friends while watching tv or sitting quietly listening to the computer keys clcking. My user name is Amy Jensen amy_jensen08@yahoo.com and NT23 folks can IM me at yahoo.

The very best thing I can think of for my new library job is for the five of use to be able to IM each other during the day-- faster than email since it is in real time. The only problem is that we cannot chat with all 5 of us at the same time, but we could all email each other (using reply to all) and keep in the loop. Of course IM is used to chat with librarians for reference questions and could also be used for reader's advisory-- really anything that a phone could used for. Not being able to see body language or facial expressions may hamper the conversation, but as an electronic alternative, I think it's good. IMing is also more private than district email, although I think Big Brother can get a copy if he wants one since if you are chatting on company time--even to another company employee about company topics--you have no expectation of privacy. (So keep your personal business and personal IMing for later!)

No comments:

Post a Comment