Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Thing 13: Tagging

I think tagging is wonderful in the library. Since many middle school and high school kids (and adults too) already understand tagging, using it is helpful to them. It can also be used as a bridge to teach them about subject headings, which are really just controlled-vocabulary tags, anyways. Tagging applications on library OPACs are just another way to help patrons find what they are looking for in the library. I think an investment in tagging is worth the time it takes! I thnk we can even trust patrons to tag for us in some cases--although we may have to have editing rights in case someone tags something in a negative manner like "Mrs. Cope's stupid novel circle book.") :-)

I use tagging now on Delicious and in my blogs mostly to help me find something (by searching) if I have to go back and find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment