Monday, June 29, 2009

Thing 8: Facebook 1

I have just recently created a FB account after mercilessly teasing everyone I knew who already had one. What finally made me capitulate was my DAD saying he posted a wedding picture of him with me on HIS FB! Turns out all my cousins-- over 30 people-- and my aunts and uncles are on FB and have posted pics of the kids etc. That was it for me...we moved away a long time ago and I never felt like I could keep up with my whole big happy family.

When i started FB I stayed on for 3 hours!!! And I found my best friend from HS whom I have not spoken with in 25 years. And of course all the family. I have been enjoying all of that.

The biggest thing that is annoying me about FB right now is that they are about to change the privacy settings for all posts (that's ALL posts) so that they are automatically public unless you purposefully set each one to private. Prior to this change you could set your settings one time and it was done. Form more info on this go to http://www.nytimes.com/external/readwriteweb/2009/06/24/24readwriteweb-the-day-facebook-changed-messages-to-become-18772.html

In addition, as a victim of identity theft, I fear people place too much info on FB-- especially if it becomes even more public than it is. For example, when you post that you are out of town, propel know you are gone and may break into your house, etc---paranoid? Maybe. But the more we get into social networking, the more I feel Big Brother looking over us all, and I don;t think that is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment