Monday, June 29, 2009

Thing 9: Facebook 2

I like FB for keeping up with family and friends. I have had great success n finding family and frineds and have many "friends" who are close relatives or close friends or co-workiers wiht whom I wna to remain close. I found the greatest majority of them by looking at other relatives/friends/coworker's frinds lists and adding those people.

I do not want to mix my personal life with my business life, so I will not join work relates things on my personal FB. It is possible to have more than one FB account, and I may consider joining one for professional business, but not at this time. There re many ohter ways to network professionally. I do not think using FB for it is a good choice for me right now.

However, my pastor and several other pastors I know or am acquainted with are using FB and Twitter and blogging to keep in touch with their congregations. Because they do this for their congregations, they cannot also use it for family and friends (who are outside their congregations) much. I think the networking aspect of keeping close to your congregation and keeping them informed is great--but it is business. I can see how politicians and other causes (One of my fav's is I Am Second) use FB to keep themselves in the mid of their "fans." When I join these people/businesses as a friend, I am not vulnerable because I have my settings set to "only friends" so 0others cannot see my personal info.

Allowing too many people access to you or your friend's personal info is not a good idea. We must be careful to balance fun and prudence with our info.

No comments:

Post a Comment